Hosted by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts for Sweet Welcome 2017
Recently I had the pleasure of visiting Hersheypark and I was blown away by all there is to see and do. This was my third visit to Hershey, and I can’t believe how many things I hadn’t done on previous visits.
If you’re planning to visit Hershey in the near future, here are five tips to help you plan the sweetest Hersheypark vacation.
1. Experience Lodging at Hershey
You have three options for lodging at Hershey Pennsylvania, all packed with amenities and located close to the park. Depending on the type of traveler you are, one of these choices will suit your needs.
- The Hershey Hotel is a historic landmark hotel offering 276 deluxe guest rooms and 48 premium cottage rooms. It is a luxury hotel built by Milton S. Hershey and overlooks the town of Hershey. The hotel is inspired by Mr. Hershey’s trips to Cuba and offer beautiful Spanish decor and elegant style. It is also home to the most relaxing spa, where chocolate massages are the norm. Be sure to check out The Chocolate Spa for yourself.
- The Hershey Lodge is a full-service resort equipped with Hershey’s Water Works, a year-round indoor swimming complex. This hotel is a family favorite, and includes plenty of recreational activities such as swimming, working out in the fitness center, miniature golf, basketball, seasonal activities and more. The lodges newest addition is the Fire & Grain Restaurant, opened in May 2017. It serves delicious comfort food, perfect for all ages.
- The Hersheypark Camping Resort is perfect for those desiring more rustic accommodations. It offers 300 sites, including 46 cabins basic sites, and RV sites with partial and full hook-ups. The camping resort has two swimming pools, an indoor game room, picnic tables, recreational facilities and a kids playground. The campground also offers live entertainment during the summer and fall months, as well as movie nights and visits from the Hershey’s characters. Shuttles service to and from the Hersheypark is complimentary. The General Store has plenty of S’mores supplies and guests are free to take advantage of the convenient fire pits provided at the campsite.
2. Check out a Hershey Bears Hockey Game
I had no idea hockey could be so much fun to watch in person. I’ve seen it on TV, but my visit to Giant Center was the first time I’ve been to a live hockey game and it was awesome. The Bears are celebrating 80 years of hockey during their 2017-2018 season and it shows. The players are pumped up and they don’t just play a mean game of hockey, they entertain. It may just be my new favorite sport to watch.&
Bonus TIP: Take a group of people and rent a Giant Center Suite for the game. The atmosphere is amazing and the catering is delicious. The views from every seat in the suites are the best.
Check out the Hershey Bears online.
3. Bring Your Swimsuit to the Park
Did you know that Hersheypark is more than just a theme park with rides and shows? I didn’t, and I found out the hard way during my visit on a hot day that people were cooling off at The Boardwalk at Hershey. Yes, Hersheypark has their own water park…INSIDE! They offer a lot of wet fun for guests, such as 15 water attractions including a lazy river, wave pool, and water slides, just to name a few. How about that? There’s no going to the car and trekking to another location. The Boardwalk at Hersheypark is located inside the park, and it’s free with every Hersheypark admission ticket. So bring your swimsuit and prepare to get wet.
4. Prepare for an Adventure
Another cool part of Hersheypark is ZooAmerica. Hersheypark has an 11-acre zoo inside and exhibits animals native to five regions in North America. How cool is that? If rides aren’t your thing, take some time to stroll through the zoo and learn about all the different animals living there. It’s a lot of fun for all ages. Check out their Animal Spotlight and learn more about one of the animals at the zoo right now.
I participated in the After-Hours Tour and was able to get up close and personal with some of America’s favorite animals. I never thought I would hold an owl, feed a black bear, or feed a sea otter, but I did at ZooAmerica.
Check out some of the Programs & Events offered at ZooAmerica.
Bonus TIP: Check out the Hersheypark Kids Stay, Play, and Eat FREE packages available and save money!
5. Bring Your Appetite
Hershey has some of the best food I’ve ever tasted. I couldn’t get enough of all the park and hotels had to offer.
The brand new Fire & Grain Restaurant located inside the Hershey Lodge served delicious selection of comfort foods with just the right combinations. My favorite bites from this lively location were the prosciutto & fig flatbread, baked macaroni & cheese with bacon, and the deviled egg trio.
I highly recommend their S’mores jar for dessert. It is by far the best take on S’mores I have ever tasted. Seriously…it deserves it’s own blog post. It’s that good. And to quench your thirst Fire & Grain has created the most delicious cocktail menu. I suggest trying it all. You can’t go wrong with the selections offered.
The Forebay at the Hershey Lodge is also one of my favorite locations to eat. Serving dinner in a relaxed rustic setting, the atmosphere of this restaurant will have you feeling quite comfortable. A few of my favorite menu items were the chilled shrimp cocktail with tomato gin jam, avocado mousse, and icicle radish, and the delicious red wine sangria.
For breakfast, Hershey Grill blew my mind. I ordered my usual breakfast of bacon and eggs, but I also just had to try the S’mores French Toast (I’m a Girl Scout, how could I not?) and it did not disappoint. Seriously, I was waiting for Hershey to drop the ball somewhere, but they didn’t. They know food. They know chocolate. What else is there to eat?
I was even more impressed with the breakfast at The Hotel Hershey, because even with an empty belly I would’ve been happy to just gaze at the view from The Circular, but the buffet options were absolutely delicious too. The icing on the cake was trying the chocolate bread pudding. It was everything!
Let’s not forget Chick-fil-A. Yes, Hersheypark has a Chick-fil-A restaurant inside and it goes without saying, but I’ll say it…the food is good. I also had my first frosted lemonade during my most recent visit to Hershey, and I’ve had three since. #AddictedMuch
And I can’t end this post without talking about Hershey’s Chocolate World. There is a lot to do there, but the best part is there is a lot to eat. I had some of the tastiest treats and didn’t want to leave. Next time I’ll be planning more time there, because with a limited amount of time I didn’t get around to experiencing everything. When you go, be sure to make an appointment to make your own candy bar!
Bonus Tip: Try everything. There are so many options, even some you may think you won’t like. Try them. Hopefully you will be as surprised as I was that Hershey has it all right.
I hope this helps you with planning your trip to Hershey. For additional information, visit Hersheypark.com or check out these posts from some of Hershey’s Sweetest Moms:
Tips for Visiting Hershey, Pennsylvania by Patty Holliday
Hersheypark Sweet Welcome 2017 by Patty Holliday
Hershey Lodge Review by Tania Lamb
Enjoy all the chocolate!