I’m going to just put this out there right now and let you know that having a yeast infection isn’t anything to be ashamed of.
When I first decided to partner with MONISTAT® to share my story I asked myself, hmmmmm…how can I share this information without people imaging me all itchy. Then I thought, it’s possible that I can’t, but it’s worth it. Seriously, sometimes women’s health issues (although very important) border on the TMI reaction side. People get squirmish, but ultimately, that’s what made this so easy for me to share with you today.
No Shame, No Pain
If you are ashamed about talking about women’s health issues, you will deal with a lot of unnecessary pain in your life and you will subject others to it as well. By telling our stories and offering solutions to these problems we are empowering ourselves and other women to be knowledgeable about issues before they ever get started.
So that being said, I’m sharing my MONISTAT® experience with you, with hopes you will have the confidence to handle your own personal situation if and when a yeast infection should arise.
Learn to Be Proactive
Fortunately, my mom has always been very open and honest about women’s health issues, and that gave me the confidence to be upfront with my doctors. I’ve never been happier. The squeaky wheel gets the oil…or however you say it.
I was diagnosed with a heart condition in the late 80’s which prompted doctors to treat any invasive procedure I was having with antibiotics prior to surgery. As minor as it may seem that also included teeth cleanings. Ugh! Teeth get cleaned pretty often. Before I knew it I was given dose after dose and then one fine day I felt like no other. It was like I had been sitting in sand all day. I was itching like nobody’s business. I knew something wasn’t right, but I didn’t know what it was until I spoke with my mom. That was my first experience with a yeast infection. It wasn’t long before we were buying MONISTAT® prior to me taking the antibiotics every time. I almost never had a dose of antibiotics that a yeast infection didn’t follow. So I had to be proactive.I learned to keep it on hand. I will sometimes discuss the effects of some antibiotics with my doctor before he even writes the prescription if it’s necessary. I’m cool with sand being left at the beach…if you catch my drift.
Now, being prescribed antibiotics isn’t as dreadful as it once was. I make sure of that.
Facts About Yeast Infections You Should Know:
- 3 out of 4 women will get a yeast infection at some point.
- Yeast infections are common during pregnancy.
- Yeast infections are treated using antifungal drugs.
- Taking antibiotics for any reason can alter the normal bacterial populations in the vagina and cause a yeast infection.
- A vaginal yeast infection is not considered to be a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
- Women who douche or use vaginal sprays are at a higher risk of getting a yeast infection.
- The most common symptom of a vaginal yeast infection is extreme itchiness in and around the vagina.
- Period, Illness, Antibiotics, and Birth Control are all yeast infection triggers.
Ditch the Itch
I’d like to give one lucky winner a $25 virtual Visa card (to shop online). You can stock up on MONISTAT® products for the next time you need them!
Information about MONISTAT®
- From itching to burning to abnormal discharge, when the common signs of a yeast infection pop up, MONISTAT® offers a variety of products to cure the uncomfortable (but very common!) issue.
- MONISTAT® products are available in a variety of treatment dosage strengths (1 day, 3 days or 7 days) and forms, including Ovule®, cream or suppositories, to meet specific needs.
- MONISTAT® relieves symptoms four times faster and works on more strains of yeast than the leading prescription and results in less drug resistance and fewer drug interactions than the leading prescription pill.
- MONISTAT® is the #1 doctor recommended OTC brand with a long-term record of success — it has been in use for the treatment of vaginal yeast infections for over 40 years.
MONISTAT® can be purchased over the counter at many pharmacies. Click here to find the nearest store to you carrying your choice of MONISTAT® products.